Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And Then There Were 4















Wow! What an event. Let me give you the Dad's eye view of the birth of Sarah. First of all, we have been monitoring Rachel's blood pressure for months, which has been a real help in telling what is dangerous and what is just stress/headaches/etc. We borrowed the blood pressure monitor from my Stepmother, Marcia. I'm really glad we had it. We were able to see that Rachel's blood pressure was steadily in the mild high blood pressure range -- usually about 145/90. The OB/GYN was keeping track of her like a hawk, so it was nice to just do as we were told. On the last visit on Mon. the 23rd, the doctor wanted to schedule Rachel to be induced for labor on Sunday morning. He would be at the hospital anyway and this way if he needed to do a C-section, he could.
So Rachel and I waited till Sunday at 5:30. Thats when we got the call to be at the hospital by 6 - 6:15. So we both got in the car (Rachel dropped Avah off at Mum's house Sat. night) and headed out for the hospital. Speaking of heading out... that kid's head was HUGE. Anyway, Rachel was induced and after 12 hours of contractions, she was ready to push. After about 1/2 hour of pushing, it was determined the head was too big and Rachel was as far as she could go without tearing. So the doc made a small cut, and the next contraction was all that was needed to let that gargantuan nogin out into the world. When I saw the head out I thought, "Holy cow! There's probably a body with that head!" And sure enough, a quick shoulder turn and Pooof! Sarah was born! She is 9 lbs. 2 oz.
She sleeps quickly, eats quickly, and poops quickly. Luckily the diaper was close...
So, yeah. She's just a little bundle. Cute as a button. Just adorable. Her cheeks are so big, they make her eyes squint. We were all able to come home at about noon today (Tuesday). We picked up Avah from Nanny and then I realized... now we are four. Pretty cool.
All I (Rachel) can say is.. Andy needs to tell these stories more often. He is alot funnier than I am.

5 comments:

r said...

OH! She is precious! My sweet little namesake ;) What cheeks! What a double-chin!

Very funny, Andy (Took me a minute to figure out it was you writing rather than Rachel). It's nice to know that Hazel won't be the only Sputnik in the family. I'm glad you're all home. I hope Avah's adjusting well...

r said...

So, because I'm lame and spend all day on the interwebs, I was looking at these pictures again and I have to ask: Is that a Monkey-Backpack-LEASH? And if it is: Does it work?

g said...

thanks for the commentary andy.

Heather said...

She is adorable and it is good to know everything went good!!! Good luck with two. They are so fun!!!

Mj said...

Congrats you guys, you are such a sweet fam!